Back in 2002, DC published Batman: Hush, a famous twelve-issue story arc by Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee that depicts a mysterious stalker named Hush sabotaging Batman from afar. In 2019, this storyline received an animated adaptation of the same name as part of the DC Animated Movie Universe, a series of connected films split into two arcs, the first one based on the “New 52” version of the DC universe. Batman: Hush released near the end of this first arc, though I didn’t know that going in when I watched an old recording on a DVR. I also hadn’t read the original comic, which helped me enjoy the film a lot more, although my vague knowledge of Hush as a character did give me a mixed feeling on the end result.
After rescuing an abducted child held by Bane (Adam Gifford) for ransom, Batman (Jason O'Mara) is informed that someone had intruded the Lazarus Pit. He agrees to help identify the intruder, but Catwoman (Jennifer Morrison) steals the ransom. As Batman chases after her, his grapple line is cut by a masked vigilante, sending him down the sidewalk, where he cracks his skull. As Bruce Wayne, he’s treated by Thomas Elliot (Maury Sterling), his childhood friend and a renowned brain surgeon. While still recovering, Batman begins investigating the identity of the vigilante who injured him while wearing a more protective batsuit.
Since I haven’t read the original Batman: Hush comic, I can’t speak to its accuracy, but I still found the story well-paced and engaging for the most part. During Batman’s investigation, we witness a more vulnerable side of him, both physically and emotionally. He can’t risk getting injured any more than he did at the beginning of the film, but there’s one moment where he comes close to breaking his code from a strong emotional blow (fortunately, he stops before he goes too far). I know enough about Hush as a character to know that they changed his identity in the end, which I found disappointing, but that didn’t stop the twists from keeping me invested or the new identity from making sense in the film’s context. There was even a solid red herring, but it feels underdeveloped in hindsight.
![]() |
| There's also arguably not enough Hush. Right: Batman (Jason O'Mara). |
Alongside the investigation, we also get a romance plot between Batman and Catwoman, as well as Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle in an interesting love triangle. Fortunately, the triangle doesn’t last, as she inevitably learns Bruce’s identity, and Selina’s revelation lets their romance blossom more. In general, the idea of Bruce and Selina ending up together works due to their unique dynamic, being on both sides of the law, so I liked seeing a new interpretation of that idea and how it ended in a suitably tragic way without completely closing off the possibility. It helps that they have good chemistry together and that their partnership turns out mutually beneficial.
That said, the story does still have its flaws. For one, there’s an interaction where the dialogue served as a jarring reminder that the film took place in the DC Animated Movie Universe, as (from my research) it mentioned the events of the previous entry, Reign of the Supermen, with no context. In the second half, I got the feeling that it had stuffed almost too many characters within its 82-minute runtime, as at least a couple of them are underdeveloped or show because they showed up in the original comic. I have to wonder if an extra five minutes would have helped.
I can’t find much fault in the technical aspects of the film, as the animation looks impressive, even with the “New 52” models that don’t necessarily gel with everyone’s tastes. As with other Batman films, there’s some good cinematography and fight choreography that’s sure to impress, even if it doesn’t feel as inventive. Although I can’t really recall any of the music as I write this, I did find the voice acting generally good, even if not all of the voices fit as well as more iconic takes.
Although fans of the original Batman: Hush comic may be more discerning of the film version, and may even find it a less than stellar adaptation, those who are unfamiliar will still be in for an engaging and entertaining story featuring the world’s greatest detective. If nothing else, I’m now more curious about reading the original comic.


No comments:
Post a Comment