Friday, January 20, 2012

The Last Airbender - It Had Better Be


The Last Airbender is one of those movies where I have heard so much about how bad it is, that I felt a desire to watch it anyway to see for myself. To this end I decided to rent it, knowing I would be going in without having seen the Nickelodeon cartoon it was based on, Avatar: The Last Airbender (it would be called this if James Cameron hadn't used the name Avatar). For $1 I got everything I expected and more...in practically the worst way possible.

The plot can be summed up as M. Night Shyamalan attempting to stuff the entire first season of the show into an hour and a half (I have nothing to say because, again, I have no prior experience with the source material). By itself the movie is fantastically boring with unexciting special effects, plot elements that are shoved aside or simply come out of nowhere, uninteresting/seemingly unnecessary characters, inconsistent logic and reasoning, and acting that is almost universally on the same level as the Keanu Reeves School of Acting. Also, almost no one is able to pronounce the word "avatar" apparently. The only thing I actually liked about this film at all was getting to the end credits.

If you are not familiar with the show, skip this movie. If you are a fan of the series, definitely skip this movie. However, if your desire to see 103 minutes of bile kicks in, I would suggest doing what I did and pay $1 to rent it from a Blockbuster or something. On the bright side, you only have to pay pocket change to borrow it for a day. Now all I want to do is watch the show just to see how much better it is than this waste of film.

No comments:

Post a Comment